FY 2004 Reduction
Eliminate Permanent Funding For Aesthetic Maintenance & Ad Hoc Departmental Requests
While it continues to be Facilities Management & Planning Department’s responsibility for the management of the physical facilities belonging to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, including facilities planning, architecture, engineering, design, construction, custodial services, operations and maintenance, utilities, and energy conservation, permanent funding for “aesthetic maintenance” and “ad-hoc departmental requests” has been eliminated as part of the FY 2004 budget reduction. Aesthetic maintenance and ad-hoc departmental requests will be completed if the requesting department elects to fund the project or as the campus identifies one-time funding to address these needs.
Aesthetic maintenance involves labor and materials associated with repairing building defects that do not present a life safety hazard, prevent normal programmatic use or result in accelerated structural or mechanical deterioration of the building. For example, a ceiling tile stained by a water leak will be left as is unless mold or fungus is present, in which case the tile will be removed but not replaced.
In all cases an evaluation will be made by the Building Systems Maintenance staff to determine if a life safety issue exists and if it does, a remedy will be made. The remedy will eliminate the life safety issue at minimal cost but may not fully restore the aesthetic appearance.
The following is a list (not exhaustive) of known aesthetic maintenance repairs that are no longer funded by Facilities Management & Planning:
- Ceiling tile replacement (chipped, cracked, stained, warped, vandalized)
- Floor tile replacement (chipped, cracked, loose, faded)
- Interior painting (walls, ceilings, trim, fixed cabinetry, shelving, doors)
- Interior wall surfaces (wall paper, tile, drywall, plaster)
- Shelving (unless a life safety hazard exists)
- Cracked window glass (unless a safety hazard exists)
- Wall base, trim and molding
- Chipped, cracked or scratched doors, frames and hardware
- Stained, worn or torn carpet (trip hazards will be removed)
- Laminate tops of cabinets, tables, and desks
- Squeaky door hinges
- Cracked or discolored lighting fixture lenses
- Graffiti will be removed and only necessary surfaces will be repaired or repainted
The following is a list (not exhaustive) of known “ad-hoc departmental requests” that are no longer funded by Facilities Management & Planning:
Free estimates for minor modifications and enhancements have been eliminated. As a general guideline, estimates for minor modifications and enhancements are $100-$250, based on the size, scope and complexity of each project. When a project is funded and approved the estimating fee will be reimbursed.
Materials and labor for services which include installation, alteration, repair, moving or removal of:
- Display cases
- Interior locks keying
- Moveable laboratory equipment (incubators, water polishers/deionizers, laminar flow hoods, bio-safety cabinets, greenhouse shade cloth, dishwashers
- Moveable furniture (tables, desks, chairs, cabinets)
- Noise control (acoustical treatment)
- Pictures, bulletin boards, corkboards or other displays
- Window shades and drapery